More Swinging Sounds

Shelly Manne

More Swinging Sounds
  • CAT # OJCCD-320-2

    1. Moose The Mooche 7:25
    2. The Wind 5:02
    3. Tommyhawk 4:15
    4. Quartet A Suite In Four Parts 15:37
    5. Pint Of Blues 9:46

The 1956 edition of Shelly Manne’s Men is heard in an all-originals program: Charlie Parker’s swinging “Rhythm”-based “Moose the Mooche” (including Bird’s chorus from his Dial recording); Johnny Mandel’s “Tommyhawk,” a volatile minor-key swinger; and two from within the band’s ranks, Russ Freeman’s tender, brooding “The Wind,” and Charlie Mariano’s deep-dish, nine-minute “Pint of Blues.”
The pièce de résistance is the 15-minute suite in four parts, “Quartet,” by Bill Holman. The composer explains that while it “corresponds broadly to the four movements of the classical sonata form,” it has not been used “because it is a classical form but because it has proven itself, through centuries of use, capable of supporting (as framework) a composition of this length.”

with Stu Williamson, Charlie Mariano, Russ Freeman, Leroy Vinnegar

Find out more about Shelly Manne

RECENT RELATED RELEASE

Shelly Manne's inquiring mind and adventuresome spirit made him a band leader unlikely to settle into a familiar repertoire. He was on a constant… More

MORE RELEASES FROM SHELLY MANNE

The music known as West Coast Jazz was a many-splendored thing, especially when it was created under the leadership of drummer Shelly Manne… More
with Shorty Rogers, Teddy Edwards, Victor Feldman, Al Viola, Monty Budwig Recorded December 17-20, 1962. More
The Shelly Manne sextet in this exciting album reflects the leader’s acceptance of the freedom with which many young jazz artists of the… More
Shelly Manne's second Contemporary album, out of print since the 10-inch LP era, is one of the definitive statements of West Coast jazz… More
Shelly Manne was one of the prime movers in California jazz circles during the Fifties and beyond, as a drummer, group leader, and, later, as a… More
with Shorty Rogers, Jimmy Giuffre, Russ Freeman Recorded September 1954. More